GEORGIA COUNCIL FOR HISTORY EDUCATION
ARTICLE I -THE ORGANIZATION
Section 1 – Name
The name of this organization shall be the Georgia Council for History Education, hereinafter referred to in this constitution as “GCHE” or “the Council”.
Section 2 – Non-Profit Status
GCHE is a non-profit corporation organized under the laws of Georgia whose purposes are exclusively charitable and educational within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue law, as further stipulated in the Articles of Incorporation as amended on file with Georgia’s Office of Secretary of State.
Section 2 – Purpose
The primary purpose of GCHE is to improve the content, study, and teaching of history in Georgia by serving as a collaborative professional association of Georgia history education advocates.
GCHE seeks to:
- promote and advance the teaching and learning of history in the state of Georgia.
- encourage and support the development and implementation of effective history curricula.
- serve as a resource for stakeholders.
- promote and encourage professional collaboration among history educators including higher education faculty, cultural institutions and other individuals or organizations committed to history education.
ARTICLE II – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Membership
Membership in GCHE shall be open to all persons interested in the purpose of GCHE: teachers and administrators at all levels; pre-service teachers; retired educators; archivists and museum educators; staff and officials of state agencies involved in history education; representatives of private sector companies involved with history publications and resources; members of affiliated organizations and associations with an interest in history and history education; and members of the general public interested in the purposes, goals, and programs of GCHE.
- The period of membership of each person who joins GCHE/NCHE shall begin the initial day of the submission of membership application and dues. Membership includes both NCHE and GCHE and concludes after one calendar year unless renewed.
Section 2. Dues
Annual dues for general membership in GCHE shall be set by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may set special rates for categories of membership, such as retired and student members. The Board of Directors may also adopt other policies relative to dues and membership commencement and expiration.
Section 3. Powers
The GCHE general membership shall elect the President-Elect and Regional Directors (corresponding to individual member location), approve amendments to the GCHE Constitution, and Articles of Incorporation, and vote on other matters as determined by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE III -ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
Section I – Executive Board
The Executive Board shall include the following officers: a President and President-Elect to serve terms of one year, with terms to begin on the day following each officer’s election; a Secretary and Treasurer selected by the voting members of the Executive Board to serve at will. In addition to the duties specified below, officers shall perform the duties traditional to such offices and may be assigned other duties by the Board of Directors. All officers shall be members of both GCHE and the National Council for History Education (hereafter referred to as “NCHE”). If offices other than that of the President become vacant, the Executive Board shall appoint any member of GCHE to fulfill the duties of the vacated office for the remainder of the unexpired term. If the newly appointed officer was not previously a member of the Board of Directors or Executive Board, they will automatically become full voting members of each.
- President: At the conclusion of an incumbent President’s term, the President-Elect of GCHE shall automatically and immediately assume the office of President. If through resignation, disability, or other reason, there is no President-Elect, the out-going President shall continue to serve until the Executive Board can appoint an acting President to serve the unexpired term. In such an event, the Executive Board shall call for a special election of the membership to elect a new President-Elect. The President shall preside at meetings of the Executive Board, the Board of Directors, and the GCHE membership. The President shall ONLY vote (a) in case of a tie or (b) in the event that his or her vote, if given to the minority side, would create a tie. The President shall appoint members to standing committees of the Board of Directors, as well as appoint any GCHE members to special committees of the Council. The President shall make such decisions and take such actions as necessary to carry out the purpose and goals of GCHE. Additionally the President shall be the liaison between GCHE and NCHE.
- President-Elect: The President-Elect shall be elected annually by the membership of GCHE for a one-year term. The President-Elect shall preside at any GCHE meetings in the President’s absence and shall assist the President upon request or as directed by the Executive Board. In the event of the resignation, death, or long-term disability of a President during his or her term, the President-Elect shall serve as President for the remainder of the unexpired term. In such a case, the President-Elect shall complete the vacated term of the President and then serve a subsequent full term as President. The President-Elect shall be the chairman of the Program Committee. The Program Committee shall be responsible for the planning of programs for the annual and special meetings of the GCHE.
- Secretary: At its discretion, the voting members of the Executive Board shall designate the Secretary to serve at will. The Secretary shall maintain an official copy of GCHE’s Articles of Incorporation as amended, Constitution, verification of IRS section 501(c)(3) status, and any other applicable documents and records. Additionally, the Secretary shall:
- Maintain a current list of the names and addresses of the full GCHE membership.
- Prepare and mail all official correspondence, notifying Board of Directors and Executive Board members of all regular and called meetings.
- Keep minutes of all GCHE, Board of Directors, and Executive Board meetings.
- Manage all annual documents, forms, reports, and other information required by federal or state law and regulation.
- Maintain a current list of the names and addresses of the full GCHE membership.
- Treasurer: At its discretion, the voting members of the Executive Board shall designate the Treasurer to serve at will. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the custody and handling of all GCHE funds, securities, and other financial documents of the organization. They shall maintain accurate and complete records relating to all financial matters, including income and expenditures, and make a report to the Board of Directors at each of its scheduled meetings. The Treasurer shall make necessary payments, disbursements, and purchases, as well as undertake contractual obligations on behalf of GCHE according to policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Executive Board Voting Members: Serving ex officio on the Executive Board are the President, President-elect, and the three immediate Past Presidents, and Committee Chairs. These members shall be entitled to vote on any matter coming before the Executive Board, except that the President shall only vote in event of a tie or where his or her vote, when added to the minority side, would result in a tie.
- Executive Board Non-Voting Members: Serving ex officio as non-voting members of the Executive Board shall be (1) the GCHE Secretary, (2) the GCHE Treasurer, (3)the Social Studies Program Manager for the Georgia Department of Education; and (4) NCHE Board Member, if applicable.
Section 2. Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall consist of (1) the Executive Board voting and non-voting ex officio members as identified above and (2) not more than 16 at-large members, described below, encompassing as much regional diversity as possible and elected by the Council membership, with the number to be determined by the Executive Board. Members of the Board of Directors must be members of both GCHE and NCHE.
- Elected At-Large Voting Members: As determined by the Executive Board, up to 16 members shall be at-large members with authority to vote on any matter coming before the Board of Directors. At-large members are elected by the membership of GCHE for terms of two years. Successors are elected by ballot during the standard election cycle determined by the Executive Board in the same election that the President-Elect is chosen. Elected members are eligible to serve consecutive terms, but determination of nominees to succeed each expiring term shall be decided by the Board of Directors. Should an elected member resign or be unable to fulfill his or her term of office, the Executive Board may appoint a replacement from the unrepresented region to serve until the next regular election. At such time, the replacement may stand for election for a full term.
- Board of Directors’ Duties: The Board of Directors shall set policy as necessary to achieve the purposes and goals of GCHE and oversee its administration. Included in its responsibilities are approving the GCHE annual budget, determining travel reimbursement rates, nominating successors to elected Executive Board officer positions and prescribing their duties and compensation, determining matters to be brought before the membership at the annual meeting, determining annual recognitions and awards, and proposing amendments to this constitution and the GCHE’s Articles of Incorporation.
- Meetings: The Board of Directors shall meet at such times and places as determined by the President or the Executive Board. Any member may be removed from the Board of Directors for nonattendance.
- Quorum: A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of a majority of the members, excluding Ex Officio, non-voting members.
- Voting: Decisions of the Board of Directors shall require a majority of a quorum present and voting. Voting can be by hand, voice, or unanimous consent, except that the President or two Executive Board members may direct that a vote be conducted by secret ballot.
- Action Taken Without Meeting: The Board of Directors may take action without a meeting if an agreement of written consent is provided by a majority of the Board of Directors. Such decisions are returned to the Council President and filed with the Secretary for inclusion in the minutes of the Board of Directors. Documentation of action shall be provided to full membership in a timely manner.
- Standard of Conduct for Board of Directors: At all times, members of the Board of Directors are to act as leaders of the GCHE and its membership. Each member shall execute their duties in a good faith manner, in the best interests of GCHE.
ARTICLE IV – COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committee
The Executive Board will appoint each member of the Board of Directors to a standing committee. The President may appoint additional GCHE members to standing committees. The Executive Board will designate committee chairs and appoint any GCHE members to special committees of GCHE.
- Communications Committee: The chair of the Communications Committee shall be the editor of GCHE publications. The Communications Committee shall also arrange for the publication of other material (digital and non-digital) as directed by the Executive Board.
- Program Committee: The President-Elect shall be the chair of this committee. The Program Committee shall be responsible for the planning of programs for the annual and special meetings of GCHE.
- Technology Committee: The chair of the Technology Committee shall be the editor of the GCHE website. The Technology Committee shall also arrange for all technological support GCHE needs as directed by the Executive Board.
- Membership Committee: The chair of the Membership Committee shall coordinate recruitment, membership benefits and officer nomination for GCHE. A slate of officers will be prepared annually by the Membership Committee.
Section 2. Special Committees
The President shall appoint additional committees as needed.
ARTICLE V – MEETINGS
Section 1 – Annual Meeting
- A meeting of GCHE shall be held on a date and in a format determined by the Executive Board.
- Section 2 – Special Meetings
Special meetings shall be at the call of the Executive Board.
Section 3 – Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised shall govern the meetings of the Executive Board in all cases to which they are applicable.
ARTICLE VI – MISCELLANEOUS
Section 1 – Amendments
Amendments to this document may be proposed by the Executive Board or by a petition signed by ten percent of the regular members and adopted by a two-thirds majority vote of those regular members present and voting at an official meeting of GCHE.
Section 2 – Election of Officers
The Officers of GCHE will be elected by a majority vote of those regular members present and voting at an official meeting of GCHE. Nominees for each office will be provided to the GCHE membership as determined by the Board of Directors.
Section 3 – Balloting
Any action which may be taken by the GCHE, Executive Board, or any committee or subcommittee of GCHE at an official meeting which requires formal voting by the regular membership may be taken by a majority vote of those regular members present and voting.
ARTICLE VII – AFFILIATION
Section 1. National Affiliation
GCHE shall be an affiliate member of NCHE.